Nordyne® HVAC age
How to determine the date of production/manufacture or age of Nordyne® brand HVAC Systems.
The industry average service design life for most forced air furnaces is 15-20 years, and the industry average service design life for most air conditioning condensing units is 10-15 years. The average service design life of boilers can vary from as little as 10 years to as many as 50 years depending on the type and quality of materials used in their manufacture. Routine upkeep/maintenance, regional weather/climate, and location/placement of the mechanical systems will all play critical roles in the longevity of these systems.
Parent Company: Nortek Global
Subsidiaries or other related brands: Broan | Frigidaire | Gibson | Intertherm | Kelvinator | Mammoth | Maytag | Miller | Nordyne | NuTone | Philco | Tappan | Westinghouse | Gaz Industrie | Ambirad | Partners Choice | Reznor | and private label brands
Example serial number styles/formats found:
- Style 1: GBB030708229
- Style 2: MN3D102 F3891 4228
Legend: Year is RED; Month is GREEN; Week is BLUE
Style 1: GBB030708229
Year of manufacture can be determined by using the 4th & 5th positions of the serial number
Month of manufacture can be determined by using the 6th & 7th positions of the serial number
Note: This style can have hyphens after the first three postions and/or the first seven positions of the serial number. i.e.: GBB-030708229 -or- GBB-0307-08229
Style 2: MN3D102 F3891 4228
Year of manufacture can be determined by using the 11th & 12th positions of the serial number (2 numbers at end of middle section after letter)
Week of manufacture can be determined by using the 9th & 10th positions of the serial number (2 numbers in middle section after letter)
Note: This style is similar to Rheem style serial numbers, and likely indicates the unit was manufactured by Rheem for Nordyne.
- 1919 - Began as International Oil Heating Company in St Louis, MO - manufactured oil burners and coal to oil conversion heating systems. Company later became International Oil Burner Company
- 1930's - Introduced heating systems for manufactured housing
- 1940's - Introduced first forced air distribution system for manufactured housing
- 1950's - Introduced central air conditioning systems for manufactured housing
- 1967 - Ralph R. Papitto founded Nortek, Inc. which successively acquires numerous companies and entities of various industries over the years.
- 1969 - International Oil Burner Co. (International Thermal) becomes Intertherm
- 1971 - Introduced first sealed-combustion residential oil & gas furnaces
- 1977 - Nortek Air Solutions was established
- 1985 - Intertherm acquired by Nortek
- 1987 - Becomes Nordyne, Inc with acquisition by Nortek
- 1998 - Nordyne started marketing under Electrolux brands Frigidaire, Philco, Tappan, Kelvinator & Gibson. Also making Maytag brand under license
- 2012 - Airtemp name revived by Nordyne under private label
- 2015 - Nortek subsidiaries NORDYNE LLC, and NORDYNE International are renamed Nortek Global HVAC LLC and Nortek Global HVAC Latin America, Inc., respectively
- 2022 - Company relaunch as NGH (Nortek Global HVAC)